Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Academy Grounds
Greetings to everyone and welcome to the Academy grounds, a place for everyone to have a bit of non-pressure fun!

In this section, ALL members, Flag Staff, Ship Crews, Cadets, and Instructors can and should be posting here to 1)help the cadets learn the various ways we all post, so it does not create 'culture shock' seeing differing formats from what we are teaching them to what everyone else does, and 2)it will also make them feel a bit welcomed into our fold not merely as 'outcast' cadets, but as UFPDF members in training, and future crew mates.

A little about the Academy Grounds: As is known, the Academy is located in San Francisco, California, Earth. The temperatures are fairly warm throughout the year, giving a good environment to the local flora and fauna. The Academy itself consists of numerous buildings that house the Administration offices, Cadet Quarters, Personnel Quarters (Instructors, Office personnel, maintenance crew, etc)and the various courses and mess halls.

Feel free to begin anywhere, anytime, we are all here to enjoy the scenery, learn and have fun. Please remember to use TIMESTAMPS in every post. This will avoid confusion. Also please use them whenever you travel from one section to another that is NOT in the same building. For example, If I post in my office, I use that as the location, then growing weary of all the paperwork, I decide to travel to the science classes I would use Science building as the next location in another timestamp. From there, I decide to simply travel through some Of Mr. Boothby's glorious flower gardens, I might use something like Garden or Garden area, as the location. Hopefully this is clear enough not to cause confusion.

I would also like to stress to the Cadets and Instructors, THIS IS FOR YOU!! it is a place to practice your posting OUTSIDE of your Academy training. This area is to be used in conjunction  with, and NOT in place of your Academy training. It is a toll to enhance your time here. It is also to be used when you are either waiting for the next assignment, or if there is a lull in your training.

Have fun with this, and remember, there are no 'extra credit' points for posting here, it is separate from your training. However, it will give you the opportunity to put your skills to use, and to see how others may post. Another note, Tagging of specific people should not be used UNLESS you know that they are here posting. As an example, it would not make sense for me to post and tag the Fleet CO if the Fleet CO is not here posting. he may not see my post due to a different mission he may be ties up with.

That said, bring on the posts, the Academy Grounds are hereby open for business!

Captain Ethan Trane
Academy Commandant
Starfleet Academy
En Route to Commandant’s Office
0630 Hours

Ethan strolled along the paved walkway leading from his personal quarters with a mug of coffee in hand. A slight steam wisped from the top of the mug due to the few degrees difference between the contents of the mug and the morning air. Sipping as he walked, he thought about the few changes he had in store for the Academy. A new class of cadets had recently begun their training, and there were a few who already had to have some ‘issues’ resolved.

Ethan loved this time of the day the most for the simple reason of the tranquility of the morning. Even the birds were just beginning to whistle their morning songs. Most were still asleep, people and animals alike, and the few that were awake made almost no noise at all. Continuing on the path, he passed a few benches, which had been placed for the cadets as memorials to Commandants past. He wondered where the bench would be placed for himself when he left this place.

Smelling a slight sweet change in the air, he looked across the grass knowing what he would find. Though early, the groundskeeper always began much earlier than Ethan. “Good morning, Boothby,” he said, “What are we planting today?”

“Just some replacement bulbs that a couple new cadets being late for some class decided to trample to lessen their tardiness.”  The gardener retorted.

Those who didn’t know Boothby would find that remark as one from a miserable, miserly, gardener who would kill as soon as he found out the names of the culprits. Ethan, however, knew better, and replied, “You say the word, and the entire Botany class will be out here helping you replant.”

Nodding with a slight smile, but also with a visible thought running through his mind, as though contemplating exactly what he would do with said Botany students, Boothby simply waved and returned to planting. Ethan continued along, arriving at his office complex.

Starfleet Academy
Administration Office Complex
0703 Hours

Ethan stepped to the sliding doors as they parted, granting him access to the main floor of the building. He loved the looks of this floor, no expense spared, made to simply dazzle and awe future cadets and their parents who came to register for the Academy. To Ethan this was home away from home.

Entering the lift, he took it to his floor, and made his way to his office. Entering, he said, “lights, low level.” and made his way to the back door, stopping only to refill his mug at the replicator. Once filled, he took another sip, and walked to his office where he would get a jump on the pile of applications, disciplinary papers, and other various forms piled higher than he would have liked. This was why he liked this time of the day, from now until 0845 he would be free to work, uninterrupted, until his secretary came in, and the rest of the world began their work days.

Sitting in the chair, he set his coffee aside, most likely to be cold before he remembered to sip at it in between papers, and grabbed the first pile, those marked ‘Starfleet Academy Application’. These were always fun reads, many cadets having impressive credentials, resumes and references. Picking up the first of the pile, he immediately set it in the rejection file, due to improper spelling on the cover letter. This may end up being a shorter pile to get through than he thought if it continued on like the first application.
Starfleet Academy
Cadet Quarters 7D

Des couldn't sleep, all he could think about was how the training would turn out. So far he was impressed with how kind everyone at the Academy was. Des had a uniqueness to him, he was surprisingly honest, understanding and extremely enthusiastic. He had always looked up at the stars and wanted so much to be part of something special. This was his chance, here he could live out his dreams. He had a bad year, he was engaged to the most beautiful woman he had ever known, but things went sour. He hoped that by joining Starfleet, he could heal from the pain and disappointment he had brutally experienced.

At least he was far from the place where he had experienced the trauma, Des had been born and raised in the United States of Africa. He remembered as he lay on his bed how Johannesburg had changed so much since the days he lived there as a kid. But the last year made him not want to ever remember that place. He had lost everything last year, his fiancée, home, friends and family.

He stood up from his bed and walked to the replicator which was only two meters away, he had never used one before so he was unsure of the complicated contraption. He was told that apparently it learnt its users preferences. There were so many things about Starfleet Des had to learn. And he was VERY eager to start.

"Ice Tea, Red" he spoke clearly in a South African accent.
With that, a cold glass of Rooibos Ice Tea appeared in front of him, he was hesitant to try it out, he had also heard how replicated stuff never tasted like the real thing, but he realized: "you know what, you gotta try everything at least once."

As he drank the refreshment, he smacked his forehead with his hand and groaned.
"Grrr! Stupid brain-freeze!"
Perhaps it was a little colder than he realized.

Starfleet Academy
En Route to Holodeck Training Grounds

Des had put his uniform on and was headed to the Holodeck, he was curious to see how it worked. On his way he noticed how quite the hallways and grounds were. He guessed everyone was asleep at this time. There were a few officers around though, obviously night-shift officers performing their perspective duties.

There were a few 'good looking' officers of the opposite sex that he noticed but after the pain he had gone through he knew deep down in his heart that he probably would never even attempt to settle down one day. Des was young, he was only twenty-six, but his experience in flying fighters in the Holodeck Tournaments was legendary. Maybe that is where he would end up in Starfleet, in a fighter squadron on board a Sovereign Class vessel. The walk was surprisingly long, at least he got to see the night sky and look up at his favorite star, Canis Majoris. To him, space was the most fascinating thing, he loved been in nature though, especially going on vacation at Risa or the Eastern Cape in South Africa. But space was his dream. He had never left Earth, no one in his family had ever left Earth, they believed it was a waste of time.

Starfleet Academy
Holodeck Training Grounds
0119 Hours

Des finally reached the Holodeck and noticed it was open and not in use. The first thing he wondered was if he was aloud to use the Holodeck at this time?

"Oh well, I always say its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."

Des programmed the Holodeck to simulate the bridge of the USS Defiant during a random battle against a Romulan war ship. Des had always dreamed of been a commanding officer, the Defiant class was one of his favorite but he always believed he was best suited for the Sovereign class. He knew he had to work hard to serve on one of them, he had only known of three in service, the Enterprise, Sovereign and Braveheart. But he knew there would be more. If he had his way, we would command one called the USS Archangel.

As Des stepped into the Holodeck the program began and he found himself standing infront of the captains chair with all the normal crew of the Defiant looking at him. Of course, they weren't real. It all seemed too good to be true, here he was, the Captain of the Defiant! Of course....... sadly...... it wasn't true.
Starfleet Academy
Cadet Quarters 4B
06H15 Hours

Bjorn woke up with a big smile on his face. I´m finally here! , he thought as he looked around his room. He got out of his bed and walked towards the shower. The hot water glides over his body and he felt energized right away. After drying himself, he went to the closet and took his uniform out. He looked at himself in the mirror after putting his uniform on. “Well, you can´t say that I don´t look good in it”, Bjorn said to himself. After getting a quick breakfast, he took a map of the Academy and headed out. Let´s explore the Academy , he thought when he stepped out into the hallway.

Starfleet Academy
Hallway near the Security/Tactical Classroom
07H05 Hours

According to the map, my Security/Tactical Classroom is right around this corner , he thought, while looking at his map. Just when he wanted to turn left, he bumped in to someone. “O! I´m sorry!”, Bjorn said with a red head of shame and walked away, not wanting to get in trouble.  Good start of the day, Bjorn…   , he thought while continuing his tour.

Tag: Anyone
Starfleet Academy
07H05 Hours

"HEY! WAIT UP!!!" Des shouted towards Bjorn.
Des ran up to Bjorn and smiled with shinning teeth and a handshake.
"You not getting away that easy!" Des said with a chuckle, "My name is Des, you are?"

TAG: Bjorn
Starfleet Academy
07H06 Hours

As Bjorn quickly walked on he heared someone shouting at him. "HEY! WAIT UP!!!" 
Bjorn saw the person he bumped in to run to him. When he finally reached Bjorn, the person he bumped in to smiled at him with shinning teeth and gave a handshake.
"You not getting away that easy!" the person Bjorn bumped in to said with a chuckle, "My name is Des, you are?"

"Ow hello!", Bjorn said with shame, " I´m Bjorn, one of the newly arrived cadets. I´m very sorry for bumping into you! Are you all right?"
"By the way, you´re early out of bed too?Smile also exploring the Academy?", Bjorn asked, when he noticed that Des had the same uniform as Bjorn did.

Tag: Des/DLocker
Starfleet Academy
07H06 Hours

"I have been up since 0300. Been to the holodeck already for some fun. And don't worry about bumping into me, I wasn't concentrating either. What's your study by the way? I am studying counselling." Des replied.

TAG: Bjorn
Starfleet Academy
Hallway near Security/Tactical Classroom
07H08 Hours

"Up so early?", Bjorn answerd in disbelieve, "man, i´m still sleeping thern. I need some sleep you know ;D" Bjorn smiled at Des.
" I´m studying Security/Tactical!  Hmm.. Counselling, so you´re gonna be a therapist?", Bjorn asked.

Tag: Des
OOC: Hi Gents - a few pointers: 1- Please dont use 'smilies' in your posts, ie Smile as the point of creative writing is to enhance imagination through your descriptions! 2- Try to lengthen your posts too as it makes a more interesting read. Describe your surroundings perhaps? We aim for a minimum of 200 words per post, not including timestamps or OOC notes.

Regards
Admiral Steve Malloway
Commanding Officer, USS Eagle
Joint Fleet Commanding Officer, Starfleet Strategic Response Fleet

Training and Personnel Developments Director, and Internal Verifier
Sorry, Sir! I will keep your pointers in mind!

Sincerely,
Cadet Bjorn