Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Academy Grounds
(03-10-2011, 04:43 AM)Radhitius Angelicus link Wrote:Starfleet Academy
Cadet Quarters 3A
19H00 Hours

Angelicus entered his quarter. He looked around with his sack still in his shoulder. "Well, this is going to be comfy", he thought to himself. "The room is just the right size, not too big nor small. It is also quiet, just like what I need.", he murmured to himself.

He then put his sack on the floor and start unpacking his stuff.

"Computer", he cried, "Music, Voyage voyage by Gregorian."

The computer complied and the music starts to fill the room. Angelicus continues to unpacking.

As the song nearing to an end, Angelicus put his last item to one of the drawer. "Hmm...I pack lightly, so unusual for me, well I guess there is the first time for everything.", he thought. He puts the item to the drawer then close the drawer. "Tea, earl grey, double sugar, hot!" he ordered in strong French accent as he approaches the replicator. The replicator buzzing and voila! The cup of tea appeared before him. He took the tea, and sit on the chair.

"Computer, play something soothing now, I know, Irish harp!" He said. "Please specify title" replied the computer.
"Down by the Sally Garden", replied Angelicus.

As the computer start playing the music, Angelicus sip his tea. "This tea is excellent", he thought to himself. "Ah c'est la vie. Une tasse du thé, belle musique. C'est parfait."

Suddenly his bell door rang. "Hmm..I wonder who could that be?" He thought. He wakes up from his chair and put his cup at the table and approaches the door. He then open the door.

Tag: all

Cadet,

While I am not going to directly respond to your post, I do want to point out a few things for you with posting format.

First your timestamp is almost perfect. In the last line, the hour line, we use a 24 hour clock, also there is no need to put an H between the times. So to use your timestamp as an example, it would look like this:

Starfleet Academy
Cadet Quarters 3A
1900 Hours
                                        ******simply remove the 'H' between 19 and 00 the rest is perfect.

Please read the following material as well

How to lay out your post.
Below are a few guidelines on how to make your post clear and easy to read. Could you make sure that you follow these guidelines so that the rest of the crew know exactly what's happening. Hopefully this should avoid some confusion.
•  At the top of each post, you should start with the time/location stamp e.g.:
USS Braveheart
Bridge
1000 hours
As you read other people's posts and create your own you will become aware that there are several different ways of writing them. There isn't one way that is right and one that is wrong, instead different styles will suit different occasions and different people. There are two general styles of role playing:
•  The 'prose/story-telling' method. Better known as 3rd person. An example of this is:
John awoke after the annual office dinner party, he felt cotton-mouthed, and his head felt as though his brain was raging a war against forehead. As he stood, he slid his feet into his slippers, and stood up to look into the mirror. “Oh god, I look awful.” John moaned aloud…
•  The 1st person is another common style. An example:
I awoke this morning, feeling cotton-mouthed. Last night was the annual office dinner party, and now my head felt like a war was raging within; the brain versus the forehead. As I stood, I slid my feet into my slippers and looked into the mirror. “Oh god, I look awful.” I moaned…
As well as these 2 main ones, there are various others, and varying people use unique ones to themselves. It all depends on how people prefer to RP.
The name of the game is to use your imagination and not just say, 'Aye, aye Captain' or 'On my way, sir' but rather to create your own little piece of the story. It is up to each of the crew members to create their own little pieces of the story and weave them into everyone else's little pieces to end up with an exciting and compelling mission. Your guidelines are to work with the information presented to you already in the story and in other characters bioprofiles.
A Few Guidelines to Observe
One question which I am frequently asked is whether it is alright to use other people in your posts. I actually encourage it as that is a large part of role-playing. However, unless you want to upset people you should try to stay within the guidelines already laid out for that character by relating to their bioprofiles and previous posts. Below are a few guidelines laid out for you to follow that are intended to make the Roleplay more enjoyable for everyone.
•  Don't kill, maim, marry, or otherwise significantly alter the life of someone else's character without their permission.
•  Be careful, when writing for someone else's character, to try and stay as closely as possible within the parameters and guidelines that player has already established. In other words, try not to get out of character.
•  Please do NOT publicly criticize another player. If you have a problem with someone, there are proper ways of dealing with it.
If it is personal, player-to-player, then write an E-mail to the player concerned. Please don't send copies to anyone else unless it directly involves them or you think a moderating voice will be needed (preferably the Commanding Officer or VCinC/CinC).
If it is a question of difficulty with a post, refer it to the offending player, the Captain and Admiral. Cross-postings and other such difficulties are best handled by a little judicious brainstorming and a 'patch' post, resolving the inconsistency. Often, the Captain will catch and fix these things before they even become a serious problem.
•  When creating NPC characters the rule of thumb usually is to try to keep them of same or lower rank than your highest ranking character. Especially command rank NPCs are a field where you can get yourself into trouble. Permanent NPCs you want to keep around your PCs are suggested to be Ensigns or NCOs. It is favorable to request consent from your CO for more pips on them. The use of NPC Captains and above requires clearance and advice from the Admiral in charge.
Playing Your Character
Everyone plays and has suggestions on how to play a character differently. As a player you should work to develop your own style of play as long as it doesn't adversely affect other player characters or make a dramatic change to the current storyline.
One mistake new players make when they first start role-playing in a Free-Form format, is including too much information. Remember to keep a little mystery. Only give enough information to allow others to interact with you. If you 'tell all' the first time out, you'll have no room to develop your character.
Forms of Communication
There are several different forms of communication practiced in the Star Trek continuum. Each mode has its own symbols used to note its use and to keep you from explaining each time where it came from.

•  "Standard speech uses quotation marks."
•  Intercoms and communicators use =/\= or =^=
•  Computers tend to use asterix, such as *Information unavailable*
•  Telepathic contact and own thoughts are placed within [ i ]italics[ / i ] (without the spaces)
Also to make something bold, either to stress a word or words, and to make your timestamp stand out, we use [ b ] word or words or timestamp [ / b ] again, without the spaces

For ease of use, if you use the forums to write your posts, the buttons above the posting box have B and I buttons for bold and italics. When you click them, it will add the code for you, you just need to type what you want in between the codes.

Other forms may develop as needed.
How To End Your Post
When you have finished writing your post, you have one of two options. TAGing, or not TAGing.
TAGing signifies you need a response from another character, and not TAGing the opposite. Most people use TAGs all the time, sometimes ending ‘TAG: ALL’ or ‘TAG:ANYONE’.

I also still need you to choose the area of study you wish you pursue. Once you do that, I'll set up a classroom for you, and we can continue your training there.

Captain Ethan Trane

Messages In This Thread
The Academy Grounds - by Ethan Trane - 03-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Re: The Academy Grounds - by Ethan Trane - 03-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Re: The Academy Grounds - by Desmond Locker - 03-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Re: The Academy Grounds - by BjornR - 03-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Re: The Academy Grounds - by Desmond Locker - 03-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Re: The Academy Grounds - by BjornR - 03-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Re: The Academy Grounds - by Desmond Locker - 03-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Re: The Academy Grounds - by BjornR - 03-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Re: The Academy Grounds - by Steve Malloway - 03-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Re: The Academy Grounds - by BjornR - 03-07-2011, 04:07 PM